Saturday, January 15, 2011

If I had a therapist, would I maybe not have this particular problem?

I have come to hate Elizabeth. I would much rather write short stories about her sister, Hannah, and piece together a vignette-y indie-feeling feature. I don't want to spend one more second writing about Elizabeth. Unfortunately, that means that each of these last handful of pages is taking progressively longer and longer to write, because I dislike her so much right now. If I liked her, I could probably finish in under three hours.

When I started into the second half, near the beginning of break, it was easy. I was only starting to get fed up with Elizabeth. Although "exponential" typical refers to increasing values, I would like to say that my writing speed has decreased at an exponential rate. And I want to just get this goddamn thing done, but I can't because hating her makes me write it slower and slower. And the fact that it's taking so much time makes me hate it more. It's a vicious cycle. If I can just make it to an ending, I'm going to not think about her at all for at least 24 hours. Maybe if I can manage a break, then when I come back to start revising, I won't hate her as much and it won't be as hard to do the work.

Possible explanation for hating Elizabeth: she is a lenses turned on the things I consider my personality faults, and because I don't like them in myself, I hate them in her. I feel like maybe this is a reason there's a stereotype that all successful creative people wind up with psychologists, that working through their issues like that keeps them from having this kind of problem with a character or something and then their work doesn't become a horrendous chore. I don't like that writing about Elizabeth feels like punishment, and I know that writing about almost anything else would feel fun again. But... Elizabeth's story has to get finished before I will allow myself to write anything just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment