Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The genre is mud, figuratively.

I've been doing much thinking about Elizabeth and the story as I've written it up to now. I've probably been thinking because I'm a little fed up with her and don't really want to work on the screenplay to finish it. Anyway, I think I might be partly annoyed because I can see potential for this to be a romantic comedy that just happens to have a girl who starts out cutting, or it could be much darker and focus on the issues behind the cutting and let the potential romance fall by the wayside.

I feel like I've been toeing the line a little, and that's going to make it similar to "Morning Glory," in that, the romance on the side will seem like it needed to be cut, or maybe take more of the focus.

So I guess what I need to know is does it seem like a good idea to tailor the screenplay more into the romantic comedy part of its potential? Elizabeth is still going to be a shy, reserved girl who cuts; and her sister Hannah can take a better role in egging on the wacky rom com hijinks if I aim for a more solid rom com genre footing.

1 comment:

  1. Cat - you hit the nail on the head. So far your story has not had a focus. You need to really nail down which direction you are going and which tone you are going to take. Right now it is wavering in tone which makes it confusing. What do you want Elizabeth to gain from this experience?

    ReplyDelete